This is the broad structure for the development of the Neighbourhood Plan (NDP).
- Hold community event(s) to discuss the issues arising from the NDP, learn if residents are for or against it, and invite volunteers to participate in Focus Groups and / or the Steering Group
- Decide who will be consulted, and about what – and how progress on the NDP will be reported to the community
Engaging the Community
- Residents and the parish council express interest in creating a Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP)
- Boundaries for the Plan Area are set – and see if neighbouring parishes should be involved
- Informally notify SODC and decide the best way to engage with the community
- Clarify how the Parish Council will be involved in the NDP process, and create a Project Team involving people from the community
- Build a Project Plan saying what work will be delivered, when and by whom
- Give SODC the aims of the Plan, the draft NDP structure, the Community Engagement Plan and the Project Plan.
- Review all the information gathered so far.
- Refer to Parish Plans, Local Plans and any other important documents such as Design Statements
- Set up Focus Groups to collect information and report back to the Project Team
- Hold more community meetings to collect information
Pulling it together.
- Focus Groups set the aims and priorities for the Draft Plan in their areas of knowledge
- Examine how new and existing ideas fit into the overall Draft NDP
- Hold a community event to check that the aims and priorities of the Draft NDP are right
Drafting the NDP
- Show that the NDP reflects existing policies, meets community aspirations, and will ensure that development is sustainable
- Prepare an action plan to take specific projects forward
- Draw a map showing where policies apply and where individual projects will be located
Testing & Approval
- Publicise the draft NDP in the community, and consult with those likely to be affected by the NDP
- Send the draft NDP to SODC and await the decision of the independent examiner; amend the NDP as necessary
- Hold a referendum to approve or refuse the NDP in the parish
Delivery & Monitoring
- If the NDP is approved by referendum, establish a new Project Team to oversee implementation
- Set up Task Groups to deliver each project in the NDP
- Monitor implementation of the NDP in tandem with the community
- Fully review the NDP within 5 years of approval